Welcome to Mode!
Mode Analytics, Inc. (“Mode”) adheres to the set of data protection principles developed by the United States Department of Commerce, in collaboration with the European Commission and the Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner of Switzerland, which produced the U.S.-European Union Safe Harbor Framework Documents and U.S.-Swiss Safe Harbor Framework Documents. Mode acknowledges that the Safe Harbor scheme has been ruled invalid; however, the privacy principles in this policy are based on the Safe Harbor principles, including as they relate to personal information transferred from the European Union ("EU") and/or Switzerland to the United States ("U.S.").
What information do we collect from users of the Service or this Site, and how do we use it?
Before you can use the Service, we will ask that you set up an account by providing us with your email address and name, and generating a username and password. This information will be used for identification purposes. It will also be used to communicate with you regarding your account, updates to the Service, and activity within the Service. If you would prefer not to be notified about any of the items in the previous sentence, please email us at email@example.com.
We may keep all of this information indefinitely.
The Service contains two primary functions – a "public" function and "private" functions. You have the option to use the public function, the private function, or both.
- The "public" function enables users to publicly share data with all users of the Service, as well as queries and associated data analyses, and to access, manipulate and collaborate on the data, queries and data analyses shared with the public function by other users.
- The "private" function enables users of each private group to share data, as well as queries and associated data analyses, only with other authorized users of that particular private group, and to access, manipulate and collaborate on the data, queries and data analyses shared by such other users of such private group. The private function is only available for registered users of the premium Service.
When you register for the premium Service, which is available for a fee and is described more fully in our Terms of Service, we may collect all information necessary to complete the transaction, including your name, credit card information, billing information and shipping information. This information may be shared with third party vendors who process and fulfill your purchases. When you submit credit card numbers, the information is processed by our third party vendors.
When available, you may also set up your profile on the Service and submit certain information to be displayed on your profile. This may include a photo of you, a short bio, links to your presence on other social media sites, and other information that you think other users might want to know about you. Please keep in mind that all information that you submit for display in your profile, including any personal information, will be viewable by other users of the Service. We may use this information to facilitate the Service, such as to suggest that other users follow you on the Service based on the information you provide. You can add or remove personal information from your profile on the Service in the Settings section. We may keep this information indefinitely.
Your Data Postings, Comments and Other Work
As set forth in our Terms of Service, as a registered user you may upload data to the Service or post various queries, comments, analyses and other content on the data or work made available on the Service by other users. Please keep in mind that all such content that you provide to the Service (“Your Content”), including any personal or otherwise sensitive or confidential information about you or others included in Your Content, will be viewable by other registered users of the Service, as well as unregistered visitors to the Service, in accordance with the privacy settings that you specify when uploading, posting or otherwise creating Your Content on the Service. You may provide and upload Your Content and make it available to the public, using the public function. You may also provide and upload Your content privately, using the private function. Mode will not be responsible if you incorrectly designate Your Content for Mode’s public function, and publicly disclose Your Content that you intended to remain confidential or private. The Premium Service has certain functionality (“secret embeds”) that allows you to expose Your Content created in Mode’s private function to people who are not authenticated to the Service. Mode will not be responsible if you expose private information using this or similar features. We use Your Content and any personal information contained in it to facilitate the Service. Subject to our DMCA Policy, we store and may keep indefinitely all of Your Content and any personal information contained in it.
Usage Data and Cookies
Third-Party Integrated Services
We may implement certain third-party offerings in the Service, enabling such third parties to collect information about you or your online activities across different websites and over time through your use of the Service. Please note that any information collected through such integrated technologies is collected directly by these third parties for use (in part) by such third parties, subject to their own privacy practices and policies.
If you correspond with us via email, we may gather in a file specific to you the information that you submit. This includes information provided for support purposes. We may keep this information indefinitely.
We will collect information you give us when you participate in any promotion sponsored by Mode, such as a live event or contest. You will typically be asked to provide your name and email address. We store this information in our database and will use it to communicate with you about the promotion. We may also use this information to promote the Service to you in the future, unless you inform us that you opt out from receiving such communications. We may keep this information indefinitely.
To whom does Mode disclose information about you that we collect through the Service?
We may disclose personal or other information collected about you through the Service or this Site either (i) when we have your permission or (ii) in any of the following situations without your permission:
- In furtherance of providing the Service, Mode may disclose certain information collected about you through the Service to other users of the Service authorized to receive such information.
- We may disclose information that we collect about you to our affiliates, and to third-party contractors who perform services for Mode in connection with the Site and/or the Service or to complete or confirm a transaction that you conduct with us.
- As noted, information about you collected by third-party services integrated with the Site or the Service will be disclosed to such third parties.
- We may disclose the results of aggregated data about you and other users without restriction. In these situations, we do not disclose to these entities any information that could be used to personally identify you.
- We may disclose information about you to the government or to third parties under certain circumstances when legally obligated to do so, such as in connection with suspected illegal activity in connection with the Service or this Site, or to respond to a subpoena, court order or other legal process. We reserve the right to release information collected through the Service or this Site to law enforcement or other government officials, as we, in our sole discretion, deem necessary or appropriate.
- We may disclose any information that we believe is necessary to enforce or apply our Terms of Service and other agreements; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Mode, our employees, our users, or others.
Is information transferred internationally?
We are a global business based in the United States, and we may transfer data globally to be processed by us or our service providers in order to provide the Service to you or for such other purposes as set forth in this policy. If you are not a resident of the U.S., you hereby consent and agree that we may collect, process, use, and store your information, as discussed in this policy, outside your resident jurisdiction, including in the U.S. Please be aware that U.S. law and the laws of other countries where we may store and process your information may offer different levels of protection for information than may be available in your country.
What security measures do we employ for information about you collected through the Service or this Site?
Security is very important to us – we encourage you to read our security documentation.
To help protect the privacy of data we collect through the Service, we employ measures intended to be consistent with industry best practices for security and encryption in data transmission and storage. However, you should keep in mind that the Site and the Service are run on software, hardware and networks, any component of which may, from time to time, require maintenance or experience problems or breaches of security beyond our control.
We process payments securely using an industry-accepted Payment Gateway, and do not store any billing information on our own servers.
How can you correct, update or make choices regarding the information about you that is stored by Mode?
You may correct or update information that we collect about you by managing your account on the Service in the Settings section. This includes the addition or removal of personal information (except your name, email address, username and password, which we require of all users to maintain their accounts), as well as preferences for the types of communications you receive from us.
At this time, Mode does not support “Do Not Track” preferences that may be available in your browser for letting websites know that you do not want them collecting certain kinds of information. Specifically, if you turn on the Do Not Track setting on your browser, the Service and the Site are not currently capable of following whatever Do Not Track preferences you set. For more information about Do Not Track, visit donottrack.us.
What are the policies of linked websites and other third parties?
What is our policy on children users of the Service?
The Service and this Site are not directed to children under 13. If you learn that your minor child has provided us with personal information without your consent, please contact us.
What law governs my use of the Service?
How can you contact us with any questions or concerns?
Last Updated: June 1, 2016